Grade 12 Program

Adult High School Programs

Our Adult High School Credit Programs are intended to assist our members and others in the labour movement wishing to obtain individual credits or a complete high school diploma.

We offer a supportive, adult-centered environment that recognizes the needs and challenges of working adults that are returning to school. Our commitment is to promote lifelong learning in a progressive and learner-centered environment.

Priority is given to members of UFCW Local 832 on a first-come, first-served basis, but even if you're not a member we often have seats available.

Course Outline

You need 8 Credits in total to Graduate

  • 2 compulsory credits from S4 English & Math
  • 2 optional credits from S4
  • 4 transfer credits from S1 to S4 (completed elsewhere or out of province/country)
  • Individual courses to upgrade marks

First Semester - September 7, 2019, to January 25, 2020

English Transactional Focus 40S
Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Applied Business Technologies 40S
or Essential Math 40S
Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Chemistry 40S
Saturdays 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

Second Semester - February 1, 2020, to June 16, 2020

English Comprehensive Focus 40S
Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Essential Math 40S
or  Biology 40S
Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Pre-calculus 40S
Saturdays 9:00 am to 3:00 pm


For class information and start dates contact Ans Norman at 204-480-8116 or 1-877-775-8329


Frequently Asked Questions

Why take Grade 12 courses?

  • To get your High School Diploma
  • To meet job requirements
  • To get training prerequisites
  • To improve previous grades
  • To learn something new

Who offers this program?

The UFCW Training Centre, in partnership with The Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology and Assiniboine Community College in Brandon and Neepawa, offers its members an adult high school credit program that is recognized by the province of Manitoba, universities, community colleges and employers alike. You can take individual courses or work towards your entire diploma.

Click here to expand or collapse this part

You can take courses…

  • If you are over 19 and out of school (even if you have not completed Grades 10 or 11)
  • If you are a member of UFCW
  • If a family member or friend belongs to the UFCW

What does it cost?

There is no charge for the courses. You may need to buy one or two small books, or leave a refundable book deposit to cover textbook costs.

How many credits can be done at once?

That’s up to you! Your course load will depend on:

  • How busy you are with other responsibilities
  • How much time you want to spend on your courses

Most people take one or two courses at a time so that they can complete two or three credits a year. You can also earn credits by doing special projects on your own time or by doing a heritage language exam. Some credits from Grades 9, 10, 11 or 12 can be transferred.

How do I know what level I’m at?

When you register, you will get a one-on-one interview with the program coordinator who will give you advice on what to take.

If we don’t offer the course you need, we can recommend courses at other Adult Learning Centres.

Options for earning credits required for graduation…

Courses available:

  • Automated Office 40S
  • Biology 40S
  • Chemistry 40S
  • English Transactional Focus and Comprehensive Focus 40S
  • Essential Mathematics 40S
  • Pre-calculus 40S

Other ways to earn credits…

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition – if you already have good computer skills you may be able to earn credit without taking a course. Ask us how!

Heritage Language Exams – students who are fluent in a foreign language (other than English or French) may take an exam (written and oral) for credit.

Community Service Credit – students may wish to do some community service equivalent to 110 hrs and receive credit for this. This is a project that requires approval by Manitoba Education, Training and Youth, so you are not able to receive credit for previous community service.

Student Initiated Projects – students can earn a credit for doing a project of their choice. This too requires the approval of the Department of Adult Education and Literacy. This allows students to explore potential careers they may be considering or just do research on a topic of interest to them.

Tutoring – for any students struggling to keep up in their classroom, we do provide tutoring. This service is free to students.

Give yourself credit

Contact Ans Norman to learn more.
Phone: (204) 775-8329
Direct Line: (204) 480-8116
Fax: (204) 772-7601

Latest Union Magazine